Monday, January 14, 2019

Week 6 – Resources, upon resources, upon resources


Week 6 – Resources, upon resources, upon resources
In week 2, I provided a list of resources which I felt would be instrumental to me for constructing my blog posts. These resources were:
https://ics-cert.us-cert.gov/content/cyber-threat-source-descriptions. This website is a great resource for Cybersecurity professionals who seek information on the latest threats from various vectors.
https://www.csoonline.com/about/about.html. CSO online is built to provide security decision makers with the latest knowledge to stay in front of the latest threats and defend against criminal cyberattacks.
Both of these resources, while great in their respective discipline, leave information on the table that can be useful to security professionals. Since week 2 I have written three more posts ranging from the advancement of AI and our lack of preparation for it to how the government shutdown is and will continue to have lasting impact in the area of cybersecurity. When composing both those posts I also discovered the following resource:
https://slate.com/about. Now, while Slate.com is not your typical tech based resource, I find that their take on subjects ranging from politics to tech is a refreshing one. I particularly enjoy the fact that their articles are easy to read and disseminate information in a way that captures the readers’ mind. If anything, Slate has unfortunately highlighted some of the shortcomings in my own writing style that I hope to rectify.
Looking back on these sources made me think of a couple of scenarios were a writer should discern between sites in order to provide the most up-to-date information. In the case of Slate, I would not choose them as a resource if I was engaged in capturing information that I wished to disseminate to a technical-minded audience. I find that their content is written for more a Tedx discussion wherein the orator’s goal is to inform and entertain without being overly technical. CSO online and the ICS sites are and should be used when delivering content aimed at audiences who have the vocabulary and knowledge to keep pace with the discussion. As far as resources that are not good for use I would say that anything on Wikipedia should be verified against credible sources. Now, that’s not to say that everything on Wikipedia is incorrect but a savvy reader should always scroll down to the bottom and check out the references that were cited. Doing so is the mark of a reader that wishes to be informed and not misled.

No comments:

Post a Comment