Saturday, January 26, 2019

Week 7 - My life as an ISSM

January 26, 2019

     I recently (January 7) started a new position as an ISSM. And while it is very interesting, I am realizing now that the learning curve is a steep one. Sure, courses like risk management and current trends in cyber security have exposed me to the concepts I deal with at work but it's almost like another language. Coupled with the fact that my organization (Testing and Engineering) is chock full of prior service Air Force personnel with a penchant for acronyms and well, let's just say my head swims most days. I am on the cusp of starting my 4th week and while I wouldn't say it's getting "easier", I am understanding the scope of my responsibilities and what my purpose in the organization is.
     In a way, I think that I am on the right track. Prior to this position I worked in a data center. When I started there, I also did not know how to do any of the work. With proper training though I was able to work unsupervised in a few weeks. I wish this position was a little like my last one in that my production was easily measured by the number of items i processed daily. I currently find myself entangled with an SSP (System Security Plan) re-write for accreditation from our SCA (security controls assessor) so that we can be issued another ATO (authority to operate). See, I told you there were a lot of acronyms ;).
     I short, I told my supervisor when I interviewed that I wanted to be challanged. Well, be careful what you wish for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment